Friday, June 08, 2007

Born in the "Fraction World"


I was born into a world ruled by inches, feet, yards, miles and pounds. I vaguely remember there was an attempt to overthrow “the rulers” (bad joke), by the metric system in the past. People spoke of grams, meters and kilos for a while when I was young, but the “fraction world” remained unchanged and complicated as ever, only to be used by scientists, graphic artists and other fringe groups.
Having left the “fraction world” six years ago and arriving in the “metric world”, at first, I found life difficult. In this land, people once again spoke of the “forbidden words” such as liters, grams and even “Celsius”. With time, I gradually became accustomed to this new way of thinking. I studied the secret conversions in private, and could eventually speak these words in public myself. Although I still haven’t acquired a native sense of the “metric system”, I found I could converse with the locals. “100 grams of chicken please”, How many kilometers is it to the zoo” and “I am 170 centimeters tall” etc. became part of my daily conversation. I even married one of the local inhabitants of this world and have settled down. The other day my mate and I were discussing the purchase of a liquid crystal television. “What size should we get” I asked. She replied “How about 37 inch!”

No comments: